Split Lip Magazine
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Split Lip Magazine is a voice-driven literary journal with a pop culture twist. We publish online monthly and in print annually. We accept fiction (flash and short stories), memoir, poetry, art, and photography. Please read our guidelines and submit accordingly. We appreciate you taking time to check us out and look forward to reading your work!
In an effort to promote Black voices, free submissions will be open for Black writers and artists in all genres all year (except when we are closed to all submissions in July and the second half of December).
WE ARE A PAYING MARKET! Contributors to web issues will receive $50 (paid via PayPal; note that payment cannot be made by any other method than PayPal). Print issue contributor payment is $5 per printed page, minimum of $20, plus 2 contributor copies.
Other important details:
- We're open for FREE submissions during the months of January, March, May, August, September, and November.
- We are open for TIP JAR submissions only during the months of February, April, June, October, and the first half of December. Tip Jar submissions are not read any faster than free subs, but these donations do help us pay our contributors, Submittable fees, and printing costs! We greatly appreciate your contribution! Please note that we will be open to free submissions by Black writers and artists in these months.
- Art Submissions are only open during free submission periods.
- We are closed to submissions in July and from December 15th to 31st.
- We sometimes offer an EXPEDITED submission option, which puts your submission to the top of our reading pile. You can expect a response within two weeks. It does not guarantee acceptance. If you do not see an Expedited Review category below in a given genre or genres, it means that it is currently closed; our staff is catching up on regular submissions.
- We often have to shut FREE SUBS early when our cap with Submittable maxes out. For this reason, we recommend submitting early in the month.
- Please submit in one genre only at a time. Please submit only one piece at a time.
- Should you receive a rejection, please wait one month before submitting again.
- If you're a previous contributor, we love you, but please wait one year before submitting again, unless you are submitting to our contests. Contests are open to all contributors, regardless of when we last published you.
- Content Warnings: If your work deals with sensitive or triggering topics, please identify/note them in your cover letter.
- Please double-space your prose submission.
- 100% of any submission fee goes to running the magazine (web host fees, printing costs, Submittable fees) and to paying contributors.